Sports Therapy in Calgary, AB
Providing physical therapy treatment for all types of sports injuries to help you get back in the game without pain.
When you play any sport, there is some risk of injury. Sports injuries such as muscle strains, ligament tears, and dislocations have forced many athletes to miss out on games, seasons, or even entire careers. There are various treatment options for sports injuries, and one of the most recommended and used ones is physical therapy.
Sports Injury Care at Radiant Physiotherapy
At Radiant Physiotherapy, we start by conducting an in-depth evaluation to determine the appropriate treatment strategy for your case. Your recovery is our priority to return you to injury-free living at the earliest.
Common Sports Injuries
Sports injuries often fall into two main categories: overuse injuries and acute injuries. Depending on the nature of your injury, our treatment can include combining strength and conditioning exercises, massage therapy, shockwave therapy, or manual therapy. Physiotherapy can aid in the healing from a variety of injuries, including:
- Sprains and strains
- Achilles tendon injuries
- Shin splints
- Rotator cuff injuries
- Knee injuries
- Swollen joints and/or muscles
- Hamstring strains
- ACL tears
Benefit from Physiotherapy for Sports Injury in Calgary
Sports physiotherapists have sports-specific knowledge and are better suited to assist you in making a quick recovery. A strong athlete-physiotherapist relationship is necessary to effectively treat your injury and rehabilitation. The primary objective of physiotherapy and rehabilitation for sports injury includes:
- Planning exercise regimens to assist you in returning to the pre-injury state.
- A personalized treatment plan to alleviate mobility issues.
- Athletes' injury prevention and diagnosis can be achieved through screening and exercise.
- Aiding you in achieving top athletic performance.
Furthermore, physiotherapy for sports injuries can assist you in developing techniques to prevent the same injury from recurring in the future.
Physiotherapy Treatments for Sports Injuries
We offer various types of therapies to assist you in recovering from sports injuries which are all evidence based and include:
- Manual therapy: It’s a broad term covering a wide range of hands-on techniques. A simple manual therapy session can involve putting pressure on muscle tissue or joint mobilization.
- Physical therapy: This aids in treating general musculoskeletal (MSK) or orthopedic problems, including tennis elbow, nerve impingement, ACL, etc.
- Dry needling: It can be combined with a comprehensive physical therapy treatment plan that may include manual therapy, therapeutic exercise, education, and other modalities as needed.
- Massage Therapy: This is included in manual therapy to help relieve pain from joints and muscles in your body.
- Shockwave: Shockwave therapy enhances the body’s healing process by stimulating the metabolism and improving blood circulation to rejuvenate damaged tissue. It’s most useful for people whose bodies have been unable to heal themselves on their own.
- Ultrasound: It’s a diagnostic technique that helps identify the extent of your injury so that a treatment plan can be devised for you accordingly.
- Stability exercises: Core stability exercises such as the plank, bridge, chest press, and others can help you get back to shape and strengthen the core of your body which weakens while recovering from an injury.
- Exercise therapy: Various types of exercises can help you recover from different sports injuries. Our physiotherapists will create a custom exercise plan for you based on the severity of your injury.
Leading Sports Physiotherapists in Calgary
At Radiant Physiotherapy, we have got the trained physiotherapists in Calgary who are well trained and experienced in sports therapy to help you recover quickly. You can target and strengthen the muscles in and around your injured areas by following our custom-tailored combination of stretches, exercises, and procedures suggested by our skilled physical therapist, restoring your range of motion and considerably lowering recovery time.
Whether you are suffering from injuries, aches, or pains, our physiotherapists are professionally trained to provide the high quality treatment options to help you get back on the field.
Looking for sports injury therapists near you in Calgary? Call and schedule an appointment with our experienced physiotherapy team today! We can develop a customized sports physiotherapy treatment plan to help you!
Can I walk on a sprained knee?
It depends on how acute your knee is. Initially we recommend Reducing your activity and icing your knee to allow it heal.Its is often recommended to brace your knee as rest helps to minimize the swelling and speeds the healing process.
What should be done to treat acute sports injuries?
- Rest the injured area
- Put ice on the injured area for 20 minutes once every hour
- Immobilize the injury using a splint or compress the injury by wrapping it with an ace bandage or a brace.
- Elevate the injury above the heart to reduce swelling in the joint.
We recommend to be seen by a physiotherapist before doing any modalities or exercises. Consult our team of physiotherapists if the pain we are here to assist you.
Who will treat sports injuries?
Depending upon the injured body part, you can see specialist sports physiotherapists who can treat your injuries. You may also be referred to a specialist if the injury requires surgery.
Do sports injuries often require surgical treatment?
In minor cases, sports injuries can usually be treated by conservative therapies like physiotherapy. Surgeries are only required in severe cases or for particular injuries.
How do I reduce the risk of sports injuries?
You can reduce the riskof sports injuries by following these steps:
- Wear protective sports gear, including protective pads, helmets, etc.
- Warm-up and cool down.
- Stretch if you feel sore after sports.
- Strengthen your muscles when you are not playing.
- Know the rules of the game.
- Don't play when you're injured or feel pain.